The Drilling section has expanded into a fairly large organization with diamond core drills, tube well rings, grout pumps and air operated core drills. Foundation investigation work, precising of foundation by grouting and the investigation is now done not only for the Department but also for several other Government organizations, private sector and the general public.
The main function of Engineering Geology division is to carry out Geotechnical investigation for proposed and existing dams and related structures in order to detect the causes of problems like seepage, leaks, settlement, fissures etc. Remedial action is carried out either by grouting or shotcreting. The most reliable way of ascertaining the sub surface geological structure is to examine the rock that exist at depth by sinking several large dimension shafts. But it cannot be practiced because of the exorbitant cost and very slow progress. The feasible alternative is to examine the rock sample that is brought to the surface using the process of drilling.
- Carrying out Geological Investigations for proposed dams and related structures.
- Carrying out Geological Investigations in existing dams and related structures in order to detect reasons for problems such as seepage, leaks, settlements, cracks etc.
- Making recommendations and providing consultancy services on remedial actions for above problems.
- Carrying out remedial actions for above problems of dams and hydraulic structures
- By grouting
- By shotcreting
- Installation of piezometers for seepage monitoring in dams.
- Carrying out field tests such as:
- Standard penetration test (SPT)
- Constant head permeability test (CHPT)
- Water Pressure test (WPT)
- Consultancy Services to other government institutions.
Major Activities performed
- Diamond core drilling
- Drilling Tube wells
- Rotary drilling
- Cable Tool or percussion Drilling