- Borrow area investigation for suitable fill material and the estimation of the quantity available.
- Performing laboratory test on samples.
- Establish the properties and parameters of available material at proposed site and its locality.
A suitable embankment section is designed, based on following aspects
- Properties and parameters of available material.
- Technical data provided by Design and Planning Branches.
- Recommendation for foundation provided by Engineering Geology branch.
- Conditioning the borrow areas to get the optimum moisture content
- Placing and compaction the fill material to the required degree of compaction
Cement / Concrete work
- Testing the cement quality
- Test for coarse and fine aggregates
- In-situ test: slump test
- Compressive strength test
Field and Laboratory Tests that could be carried out at EM Branch:
|Particle size distribution test
|Index properties tests||Excavation of test pits|
|Dry density / moisture test||Particle size distribution test|
|Triaxial shear test||Index properties tests|
|Specific gravity test||Dry density / moisture test|
|Direct shear tests||In-situ density test|
|Unconfined compression test||Coarse aggregates|
|California Bearing Ratio test||Gradation Test|
|Coarse aggregates||Fine Aggregates|
|Gradation test||Gradation test|
|Specific gravity and absorption test||Relative density test|
|Gradation test||Slump test|
|Specific gravity and absorption test||Trial mixes|
|Bulk density||Compressive strength test of cast cubes|
|Material finer than 0.74 mm||Other|
|Non Destructive test (Rebound Hammer Method)|
|Extraction of Concrete core samples|
|Compressive strength test of core samples|
|Compressive strength test of cast cubes|
|Tensile Test & Bending Test for reinforcements|